quarta-feira, janeiro 05, 2005

Lost in translation

Literal translation of Portuguese popular idioms:

Women and sardines, you want them to be small
Head of rotten garlic
Past waters don't power mills
Dog that barks doesn't bite
From very small the cucumber is bent
It's the color of a donkey on the run
There's a Moor on the coast...
From Spain, neither good wind nor good marriage [will come]
This is too much sand for my truck
Friends friends, business aside
Here they're made, here they're paid
Tell me with whom you hang around, I'll tell you who you are
I'm in the inks
You are here you are eating
Trust the Virgin and don't run...
Go make a turn
You're letting water in...
Monkeys bite me...!
Bad Mary...
He doesn't give one for the box
Don't sand me!
God gives nuts to those who don't have teeth...
Fish don't pull wagons
By the yes by the no...
Rays break me!
If you don't put a stick on yourself...
Donkey's voices don't reach the heavens
Old donkey doesn't learn languages
In a house where there's no bread, everyone shouts and no one is right
At night all cats are gray
There's no beauty without an if

(at http://tagide.com/pt-idioms.html)

Sem comentários: